Andrew G. Diaz is a founding partner of Gaylord Merlin Ludovici & Diaz and has handled cases ranging from local to national properties. He represents a variety of business and property owners in eminent domain matters throughout Florida and has practiced exclusively in the field for over 20 years. He has handled cases involving national big box retailers, shopping centers, gas station and convenience stores, fast food restaurants, office buildings, golf courses, subdivisions, single family residences, animal hospitals, industrial properties, hotels, mines, ranches and factories.
Mr. Diaz has served as Vice-Chair of the Eminent Domain Committee of the Florida Bar and as chairman of the Eminent Domain Committee for the International Council of Shopping Centers Government Relations Committee. He has served on the steering committee of the Florida Real Estate Trends and Networking Conference held at Florida State University. In 2000, Mr. Diaz was recognized by the FSU Real Estate Network for his contributions to the real estate program at Florida State University.
Currently, Mr. Diaz is certified by the Florida Supreme Court as a circuit court and appellate court mediator. He has successfully mediated complex disputes involving millions of dollars throughout the state. Mr. Diaz is a frequent lecturer on the topic of eminent domain. He has been the program chair and on the faculty of several eminent domain conferences and has lectured at Florida State University College of Business and St. Petersburg College. Mr. Diaz is the chairman of the steering committee for the 8th Annual Florida Eminent Domain Practice and Procedures published by the Florida Bar.
Prior to practicing law, Mr. Diaz was a State Certified Real Estate Appraiser and consultant.
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- John B. Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 1992
- Teaching Fellow, Civil Procedure (1991-92)
- Florida State University, B.S., 1986
- Gold Key
- Order of the Omega Honor Society
- The Florida Bar (Member, Eminent Domain Committee; Vice-Chair (2000-01)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association (Member, Board of Directors, YLD; Eminent Domain Committee) (2000 – Present)
- International Council of Shopping Centers (Associate Member; Eminent Domain Chair, Government Affairs Committee) ( 2000 – Present)
- Hillsborough County Civil Service Board (Vice-Chair) (2000-07)
- Florida State University College of Business Real Estate Trends Networking Conference, Steering Committee (1995–Present)
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- AV-Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Trend’s, “Legal Elite” (2005-17)
- Florida Super Lawyer, “Super Lawyer” (2007-11, and 2013-present)
- Best Lawyers in America, Eminent Domain Lawyer of the Year, Tampa (2016)
- Best Lawyers in America, “Best Lawyer,” (2008-present)
- State of Florida Certified Real Estate Appraiser No. 0000463 (Inactive)
- State of Florida Circuit Court Mediator
Beyond The Bio
Representing property owners in takings gives me the chance to get out of the office, travel across Florida and meet great people. Every property and business are unique, so no two cases are the same. To properly represent an owner, it is critical to get to know each client’s needs and how their property or business operates. Getting to know my clients and being able to help them is my favorite part of my job. When I’m out of the office, I enjoy traveling with my wife and two daughters.