Kimbel L. Merlin has been an eminent domain attorney for 35 years, exclusively representing property and business owners across the state of Florida and in Georgia and Illinois. She is also a certified civil Mediator.
Kim’s practice focuses on representing corporate owners in eminent domain. Most of her clients include commercial businesses such as gas stations, convenience stores, fast food restaurants, major retailers and shopping center out-parcels.
Kim has held several leadership positions in eminent domain during her career including chairing the American Bar Association Condemnation Committee; the Florida Bar Eminent Domain Committee; and the local County bar Condemnation Committee. She previously served for many years on the prestigious Eminent Domain Steering Committee which oversees and edits the Florida Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure Manual – the industry’s premier legal authority. Ms. Merlin is responsible for instituting the first-ever eminent domain program for the states’ circuit judges for their annual education conference.
- S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- University of Florida College of Law, J.D., 1986. University of Florida Law Review, Member (1984-86), Executive
- University of Florida, B.A., 1983
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Golden Key
- Tampa Bay Magazine, “Best Attorney in Tampa Bay” (2008)
- The Florida Bar (Member and Chair, 1993-94, Eminent Domain Committee; Member, Environmental and Land Use Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Chairman, Condemnation, Zoning and Land Use Committee, Litigation Section, 1992-95; Newsletter Chairman, 1990-92; Member, Condemnation Committee, Real Property, Probate and Trust Section; Urban, State and Local Government Law Section; Co-Chair, Program Evaluation and Utilization Committee, Section of Litigation, 1995-98)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association (Co-Chair, Eminent Domain Committee, 1997-98; Member, Section on Trial Lawyers; Committees on Eminent Domain; Circuit Court Civil Rules; Education and Liaison; Young Lawyers).
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Member, Florida Petroleum Marketers & Convenience Store Association, Inc.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- AV-Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Trend’s, “Legal Elite,” (2005-2009)
- Best Lawyers in America, “Best Lawyer,” (2007-2022)
- Florida Super Lawyer, “Super Lawyer” (2006-2022)
Beyond The Bio
The best part of our firm for me has always been the people. I truly love, respect, admire and genuinely like all my partners and our great staff. It makes it fun and so rewarding to work with such amazing people. In addition to our special team, it has been such a blessing to work with so many wonderful clients over the years. Many have become close friends. We are very fortunate to get to work with clients we truly enjoy. It’s especially gratifying to be able to do something meaningful every day that is so worthwhile and involves helping people. And fighting for something we all resolutely believe in: the protection of private property rights. I am very proud to be part of our firm and feel deeply grateful for the long-term relationships with our clients and colleagues.
My greatest personal joy is my children, grandson, and my crazy chihuahua. I love spending time with friends and family; boating; walking; supporting the Gators; updating my house; and planning events and celebrations. Life events to me should be highly personal, special, memorable and celebrated! My family teases me about my overzealous approach but I think they secretly like it. I’m a 5th generation Floridian from North Florida and love living in Tampa Bay. Florida to me is paradise and the perfect place to live and work, explore, and engage.